The WHPS Experience
What makes Woodland Hills Private School (WHPS) the right school for you and your child?
Development of the Whole Child
- Individualized, creative and challenging program is tailored to each individual child’s needs with a real world approach, helping each student achieve his/her goals, build self-esteem, bring out his/her full potential and enable him/her to move to the next level with confidence.
- Caring, loving, and natural environment where children can develop a strong academic foundation.
- High expectations for each student socially, emotionally and academically.
- Children take part in many community service activities, developing into responsible, caring and respectful citizens.
- Extracurricular activities allow our students to further explore their interests after school. Activities include team sports (VISA intramural league), academic chess, robotics, theater, dance, Homework Club, Mandarin, French, yoga, robotics, Lego engineering, video game development, and much more.
- Academically rigorous individualized curriculum, plus special area teachers for: Animal & Nature Studies, Music, Technology, PE, Foreign Language, and Art.
- Student leadership development is integrated across the curriculum, enabling students to develop into respectful, responsible citizens while also enhancing the development of strong leadership and self-efficacy.
- The academic school year is 42 weeks long (many schools are 38), which allows us time to do many special events and activities without sacrificing academic learning.
- Highly qualified, creative and nurturing teachers who are committed to providing the best education.
- Low student-teacher ratio, from up to 12:2 with toddlers to an average elementary student-teacher ratio of 12:1. These low ratios help children and teachers develop close relationships and trust, so your child will not be lost in the crowd. Visit our FAQ page for more details.
Accreditation and Awards
- WHPS has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) since 1996, recognized for demonstrating and exceeding with the criteria for high quality educational programs.
- WHPS was the recipient of the R.O.S.E. award Recognizing Outstanding Schools in Education.
- The elementary division has state of the art technology incorporated into its curriculum and classrooms with Engineering/3D CAD and Printing, interactive projectors, Mimio tablets and software, iPads and document readers, as well as 1:1 laptops in grades 4 and 5.
- The tree-filled campus is located on 4.5 acres and includes our exclusive Science & Nature Center, complete with an aviary and reptile house, providing a unique and natural environment for our students.
Middle School Placement
- We provide placement services for our graduates, including an annual middle school alumni panel and individual family counseling. We meet with each family to assist in finding the best match for middle school. All our graduates have been accepted into a top school of their choice, including but not limited to:
- We believe it takes a village to raise a child, and we welcome parent involvement in the classrooms and for all our special activities. WHPS also has a very active Parent Association, which supports our school events and provides many additional enrichment activities for the children.
- We are sensitive to the needs of working parents. A before and after school extended day program is available and WHPS only closes for national holidays. The afternoon extended care program includes a Homework Club and a full program of activities.
- We are accountable to our families and responsive to parents and their concerns.